Pullets or Cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steph5253, Mar 8, 2014.

1. steph5253

steph5253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    Here are two of my three and half week old chicks, a barred rock and a gold laced Wyandotte. I purchased them from a local feed store as pullets.
    I need help, I am not sure if they are pullets, I am thinking more and more that they are cockerels.
    The GLW is the slowest to feather having only a few wing feathers and fluff everywhere else. Her chick mates have mostly feathered out by now. What prompted me to finally post a picture is that today I noticed waddles and a pink tinge to her comb. Plus increasingly dominant behavior. From what I've read it is not uncommon for GLW pullets to have pink or red in their combs and develop waddles early. Maybe someone with GLW experience can help. Really, Any input is appreciated!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Next is my barred rock, I haven't a clue other than she looks pretty dark to me, she has dark wash down her legs, and her combs are small and yellow. What do you think?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My whole flock of (hopefully) pullets :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Well, it is still early, but with mine I could tell from hatching onwards sometimes, so it might not be too early. I think your guesses are correct. Time will tell. Certainly it's very typical male feathering patterning on the GLW; supposedly that's breed specific but I breed total mongrels and found the male feathering pattern held true more often than not.

3. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    Thanks for your feedback. I feel that I have even more questions now because now that I took a closer look at his feathers he seems to have a barred pattern. All the pics I see of young GLWs they are mostly black with a stripe of tan down the center. Now I am all confused! Anyone have insight.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    They are very young to sex. But Im going to say rooster for both chicks.

5. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    Man it would stink big time if both were Roos :-/

Can someone give me a run down on identifying markers for cockerel GLWs? I have never had them before...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by