Pullets or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teaton, Oct 12, 2016.

1. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    This sweet baby is sick and probly isnt going to make it But id like to know if he is a she anyways. My guess is it is about 1 month old, we picked this baby up last week. I originally thought roo but now im not so sure, Im trying to get better at this! Lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    I would say it is a little too early to tell. Sorry to hear your chicken is sick. Do you know what breed it is? What are you doing to treat it for its illness?

3. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    They are rhode island reds, unfortunately I bought 20 chicks from a seller who all ended up getting sick and dying on me by un godly numbers. Its something respitory, I noticed it as soon as we got them home in the bigger ones. They had runny, crusty noses and were sneezing, weezing and gasping for air -they also rank! I seperated them started them on duramyicin antibiotics, but it hasnt helped.
    Then the chicks that were never around them that came straight from the incubator started dying.
    I eventually made a call to the state vet and department of agricultural, they said it sounded like microplasma which can be spread through the egg, and if it is all the babies i bought would be euthanized. With that being said they will also go to the sellers farm and investigate her and put down her flock as well. I know it sounds awful But atleast they will stop her from being able to do this to anyone eles. I had to take in a few for a necropsy and we're just waiting on the results -Im very nervous!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  4. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Heres one from the same batch that is really bad off, notice her eyes are red and shes gasping for air, i did try to swab the throat to get mucus out but i didnt get anything. Ive also been giving her vet rx to relive her but its also not helping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is so sad that there isnt anything i can do for these babies but watch them die [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I am so sorry. I do hope they check out the seller. What an awful thing to have happen [​IMG]

6. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    I am so sorry as well! Let's hope there is some good lessons learned for the breeder you got the chickens from. I hope your next chicken flock is healthy brood!

7. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Thanks for your condolences

8. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Results are in and im in tears they all had coccidia, roundworm and 2 types of microplasma one is MS the other is MG. Both are reportable and they are now turning theyre investigation to her. Horrid news to say the least, these babies are all under 1 month of age, and now they will have to be culled [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  9. americanchicks

americanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Auburn, wa
    So sorry about the loss of your babies, I teared up reading your story :( I Have never lossed chicks due to illness but I have gotten other small animals from breeders that ended up having to be euthanized due to poor health. I have even had animals shipped to me dead. Hopefully they are not selling anymore chicks.

10. teaton

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    They wont be for long thats for sure the state said they are going to pull her permits, and possibly cull her whole flock, it depends on how testing on her farm goes. This is very hard for me, ive always been able to save them ive never had to cull 1 let alone 17 babies! This is going to be by far the hardest thing ive ever had to do, thanks for your sympathy, and i hope you never do know what its like, i hope noone does thats why im doing my part on shutting her down, and it may be just 1 person but atleast i stopped that 1 person from being able to do it to anyone eles, and i encourage people to do the same if they experience this, its nothing to make a call to the state vet or departmet of AG!

It is a tough decision for people to decide to kill thier flock when they get a positive MG or MS test result, believe me I know, and you dont have to but you have to quarantine and close the entire flock that means none come and none go. For me thats not possible we just started our buisness and Id rather get rid of everything and start all over again one day than to chance it! many people treat their flock then start selling chicks and eggs again not realizing they still have the disease, microplasma is spead to the egg too, you just cant run a buisness that way!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by