Pullets or roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by daxigait, Jan 22, 2016.

1. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    The brown headed are bcm over EE, the blacks I think are sex links lavender orpington over barred rock since several had head spots and seversl did not, but there was a second roo that was buff/ee. The last yellow/brown chick is either buff/EE over buff/EE or RIR.
    The bcm chicks are five weeks and the other three are four weeks old.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] b [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] c[​IMG] d[​IMG][​IMG] e[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Profile pictures of the chicks standing would give us a better idea of what we are looking at. But, for a lot of breeds, 5 weeks is pretty young for more than a guess......

3. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I figured it would be guesses right now.I am just a newbie and wanted to see what others thought. I will try to get profile shots tonight.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If the black ones are indeed Black Sex Links (Lavender Orpington rooster over Barred Rock hen; BR roos X LO hens do not make BSLs) then they are easy to sex; male chicks have a white spot on top of their heads, female chicks do not have the white spot on top of their heads. Your other chicks are too young to sex with accuracy at this point. I would suggest re-posting their pics in another month.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please repost photos in 4-6 weeks.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

7. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Thanks next month then. Someone said to me that every time she has seen bcm over EE that color it was male. I hope she is wrong, but the neck light like that sure looks like a bcm roo. I have not had these breeds or chicks before though so it is new me.

8. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Here they are now, and I see a couple of cockrels, but I will just post and see what you think. I apologize for the lack of order, but they were all running around, and separating the little images on my phone was hard. The last picture shows at least part of all of them. Two black with brown and black neck feathers one with more tail out of br two black copper Maran EE, one brown bym, and two olive eggers one white one brown mix. Thanks[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Nobody's screaming roo in those pics. At nine weeks I would expect to be seeing more comb. Looks to me like you've got a pen full of pretty little girls[​IMG]

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm not seeing any well developed, bright pink combs or 'rooster' red on any of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by