Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thetomsfam, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Thetomsfam

Thetomsfam New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    Hi there, I have 8 18.5 week chickens in my backyard flock; four Ameracaunas that include both blue and black splash. I also have four Brahmas, buff laced and gold/black laced to be exact. Some of these chickies' sexes were easy to tell but others, not so much.... Here are pictures of the ones I am questioning.

"Sweetpea" She/he is as big as my roo, but is less dominant and has noticeably smaller comb and waddles, but it does appear that she has rooish saddle feathers.
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure "Reba" is a pullet given her size and demeanor.
    [​IMG]

"Annabelle." She is becoming more aggressive with the other smaller chickens. She's thrown me for a loop with her disposition and is having her feathers plucked by our rooster, to the point where I can't distinguish her feathers.
    [​IMG]

"Spraddle." was spraddle legged when I got her. I had to band her tiny legs together and now she is one of the most hilarious/feisty chickens I have. I'm pretty sure pullet.
    [​IMG]

This is Houdini (the black one), She/he refused to look at the camera each time I took a picture, this was the best one I could get lol:) Not much of a comb and just now starting to redden a little... I'm thinking pullet.
    [​IMG]

And a pic of the chickies having fun free ranging:) Love them:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Beutiful birds. I ordered chicks from stromberg hatchery in the first batch only 3 were alive. Tomorrow November 125 more are being sent for replacement. This is my first time and I ordered rainbow assortment.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Male
    Female
    Male
    Female
    Female

last picture is a pair :)

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Males that have colour splotches of red, orange, or yellow feathers that emerge on sometimes the neck, back, and most importantly and almost always the shoulders. These are tell-tail signs of a male, as females cannot have that colour in those regions.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    that's what I see as well.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

7. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009