Pullets or start with chicks?? in NW Washington State

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gfamyr, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gfamyr

gfamyr New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Concerned about ending up with roosters from chicks. What then? I will need to locate a home for them quickly because we can't have roosters where we live. Any recommendations of where to get pullets in NW Washington...or who does a really good job sexing the chicks?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] From Virginia!!!!! Glad you joined BYC!!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Go to the Social forum: "Where am I? Where are you!" and click on the Washington state thread. Perhaps someone there can help you locate some birds.

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I got pullets since I was new to the whole chicken raising hobby and got them through Craigs List. That's a gamble, I know, but I corresponded with her several times and she seemed nice, helpful, and knowledgeable so I decided to take a chance. I got lucky as the girls were in great condition and have turned into great little layers.

Pullets were the right choice for me to begin with and I've learned a lot since I got them. I now feel like I could handle dealing with chicks and incubation.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from another in washington state glad you joined us!

6. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    The good news is, even if you are prohibited from having roosters, it's not like they start crowing right off the bat - you shouldn't have trouble getting rid of roosters on Craigslist. Good luck to you!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome from the soggy side of Washington State.

As for getting rid of unwanted roos there are a couple of places in Western Washington to get rid of them via auctions. As for getting sexed pullets, as far as I know there isn't anyone selling in the region on a commercial level. The closest hatchery is Dunlap in Idaho. If you are wanting to buy locally or at least closer to home I would recommend that you join in the Washingtonians thread here on BYC. We have one of the most active threads, and a number of breeders, plus a lot of experience on the thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/717207/washingtonians-come-together-washington-peeps

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! Even hatcheries only have a 90% guarantee on sexed chicks, of course on my 1st order of chicks from My Pet Chicken I ended up with one of the 10% just my luck. My local feed store sells laying pullets (production reds) for $10 to $15. Not sure if you have anything like that near you, best of luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by