Pullets or sweet, pretty-boys?...most worried about the Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CALI CHICK, Nov 4, 2011.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I have searched through every "hen or rooster" thread looking for pictures to compare with my pullets (according to the feed store). Now, I think I'm overly worried.

My chicks are all 11 weeks old, give or take a day or two. Nobody is crowing, but the BO doesn't chirp anymore...it sounds like a grumble or growl. Also, the BO's comb and wattles are a little pinker (and the wattles bigger) than either of the other 2 chickens'. Maybe they look pinker because she is a lighter color? Sometimes they lighten to a pale peach.

I've read that roosters have pointier saddle feathers and different coloring or shine??? I am in-experienced and probably biased at judging these characteristics in my chicks. We cannot have roosters in our neighborhood. It will break our hearts if we have to get rid of more chickens that we've come to love. We previously raised 4 silkies, until ALL 4 started crowing. We found them new homes, but it wasn't easy. Any ideas of what gender and why would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Here are several group and solo photos:

The BO and BR:
    [​IMG]

All 3 together:
    [​IMG]

RIR closeup:
    [​IMG]

BO closeup:
    [​IMG]

BR closeup, digging her way to China:
    [​IMG]

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    They all look pretty girlie to me and [​IMG] , hi neighbor (El Dorado Co here).

Deb

3. Quote:X2

4. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    Quote:X2

X3 (Though I was uncertain on my Buff Roo for a long time...the legs on yours are a lot skinnier.)

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I vote all pullets! [​IMG]

6. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    That is such a relief. My head is swimming with happiness. [​IMG]

Are any of you familiar with why the BO makes the growly noises? I wasn't sure if it was something BO's just do -different than other chicken breeds. She is so funny... Another thing Buffy does (I know, not very original) is run between the RIR and BR when they are scratching the dirt. She waits for THEM to stir up some grubs or bugs and she snatches it before they can get their beak down to the ground. But at 11 weeks I'm amazed at how nice the 3 are to each other. I originally didn't want to get a RIR because some people say they are mean and noisy for chickens. Not true with mine. Rhody (RIR) is the quietest and seems most content overall. Rocky (BR) is by far, the noisiest and likewise steals goodies. My bit of chicken wisdom gathered from these 3 chickens, "A chicken's favorite food -is whatever is in another chickens mouth!"

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

100% girls. my BO that i had a while back( got by coyotes) would make growling sounds and other weird sounds. i think its a BO thing lol. for a long time thought she was a roo till she layed an egg.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:X2

X3 (Though I was uncertain on my Buff Roo for a long time...the legs on yours are a lot skinnier.)

x4

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I agree that they're all pullets. [​IMG] Welcome!!

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they look like pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by