Pullets pecking themselves

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolJ, Jun 23, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I was observing my 18-week old pullets this afternoon, and most of them were pecking at their own feathers. And occasionally one or two would peck at another chicken. Is that typical behavior, or is there something wrong? At first I thought it was probably typical behavior - like cats and dogs grooming themselves. But then I started worrying. I've only had them a little over a week - so this is all new to me.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:how big of a space are they in? stress possibly?

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for the reply! :) The run is 12' x 3' - and I have seven pullets. The coop is 3' x 5'. When they go into the coop at night, they all huddle together with lots of room left over - that's the only time they're in the coop - at least until they start laying. So, according to the formulas I've seen, there is enough room. Even so, I will be adding onto the run this weekend. So far I haven't let them free range, but I will probably start taking them out while I"m outside to keep an eye on them this weekend - at least for an hour or two each day. I'm nervous about letting them out, though - afraid I won't be able to get them back in. So I guess I'll do it late in the afternoon about an hour before they go to roost.

When I go to the Farmers Co-op this morning, I'll ask about organic ways to treat lice and mites - just in case that's it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by