Pullets really behind the rest of the group?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by classicsredone, Jul 21, 2011.

1. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    My BR, Bennie, is a strange one. I got Bennie from the feed store as a sexed pullet (no males were ordered), and they order through Belt Hatchery. As a chick, Bennie was VERY dark compared to the other girls. Bennie had the dark coloring down the front of her legs, and did not develop an early comb or wattles. She was born on February 1st, and the rest of the chicks born that day are laying. They have very pronounced combs and wattles, and are darker in color. Bennie looks much like she did in this picture, taken two months ago. The comb and wattles have barely grown. She isn't squatting, but she also does not make any roo noises. She also hasn't filled out in the past two months like the other girls, but is otherwise healthy. No mites, worms, etc. Could she just be very behind? Is there a chance she has a hormonal issue that is causing her to be more like a male? (But without the crowing?) I'm a little confused. [​IMG]

Taken May 22 at about 16 weeks- Bennie is in the front:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_9893 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

Taken at 7.5 weeks and developed as much as the others:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_8931 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

Bennie is the very dark chick on the left at 1.5 months:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_8821 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Maybe she's a bantam? I'm not sure what else might be going on, except maybe she got put in the wrong bin at the feed store. I do know some of my pullets are smaller than the others, and each breed develops a little differently in the comb/wattles department.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give you some insight!

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Well, she's the same height...she just hasn't filled in. She's still shaped like a young pullet. As for the feed store, they don't let customers touch them and they had just arrived when we got them. There weren't any similar breeds, just mostly pullet layers and straight run games and cornish x.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by