Pullets roos or straight runs for meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by denahli, Aug 15, 2008.

1. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    what is the difference in ordering a pullet, roo or sraight run for meat birds. Do roostaers get bigger or something?

2. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    and if it makes no difference then why are roos more?

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know why they offer 3 choices, but roos do get bigger than hens. I know they charge more for pullets when ordering egg layers because they have to sex them. It works the same way with roos as meat breeds.

Sonja

4. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I did straight run. I can see why people want to get one sex over the other. If you want to put all roasters, roosters will get the largest the fastest. I put up meat for many uses, so I keep the largest for roasters and butcher the smaller birds into parts for regular chicken meals.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Cockerels for meat

Pullets for eggs

Straight run to end up in the same place. With straight run you'll do the separating.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    When I order cornish x for meat birds I always order straight run.

I butcher a few roosters as "game hens".

I then butcher roosters when the reach approximately 6.5 to 7 lbs live weight.

The pullets are always butchered last as they do take a little longer to reach the weight I want.

By ordering straight run I then can spread my butchering over several weeks.

7. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    For standard size chickens pullets (less then 1 year old hen) is smaller. so it's usually better to go all male for meat type birds. A Pullets uses its feed intake to produce eggs not meat.

For some of the larger birds like the cornish cross, the females get big enough you can use the as cornish game hens

Straight runs are usefully for:

Some times by ordering a straight run you can use the pullets for eggs and males for meat. But that depends on the breed they are, for instance red sex links males are about 1 to 1/2 pound lighter when dressed after butchering.

If you are looking to hatch you own eggs then straight run will get you a few meat birds and a few hens for your breading stock, and a choice of which rooster to keep for mating.

They are cheaper since they don't have to pay someone to sex the birds. and by when it's time to lay eggs or butcher the males the adult charistercs are present and you can sex the birds then.

Tom

8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i buy staright run its just cheaper and both sexes have their advantages

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by