Pullets sleeping in egg box

SunnyRue

Chirping
Apr 27, 2017
I recently added 2 chicks to my flock. I transitioned them to living outside a couple months ago, and I noticed in the beginning that they would sleep together in one egg box. I thought that maybe they would start sleeping on the roost once they got integrated with the flock better and were more comfortable with the other hens, so it didn't really bother me. Now that laying season has begun it's become a problem, since they poop in the boxes and get them dirty. I tried to pick them up and place them on the roost with the other hens when the sun went down, but they refused to stay and went right back to the egg box. Does anyone have any advice on how to convince them to sleep on the roost?

If it's just a habit that needs changing, you could try putting them on the roost after dark, so they cannot see to go somewhere else. A few nights of that might get them used to being on the roost.

But the hens might be pecking the chicks and chasing them away.

You could check this by putting the chicks on the roost and watching what happens.

Or you could try just watching in the daytime. If a chick is eating, and a hen walks over: does the chick run away or keep eating? If they are in the habit of staying out of the hens' personal space in the daytime, they would not feel safe roosting really close at night either.

If the chicks are getting off because of the hens, you could try adding another roost. It needs to be far enough away that hens on the one roost cannot peck chicks on the other roost. It's OK for it to be lower than the main roost, but it should probably be higher than the nestbox. (You might be able to use a stepladder or a chair or a wooden crate or something of the sort, since there are only two chicks.) Then you can try putting the chicks on the new roost in the evening, and see if they are willing to sleep there.

If it's just a habit that needs changing, you could try putting them on the roost after dark, so they cannot see to go somewhere else. A few nights of that might get them used to being on the roost.

But the hens might be pecking the chicks and chasing them away.

You could check this by putting the chicks on the roost and watching what happens.

Or you could try just watching in the daytime. If a chick is eating, and a hen walks over: does the chick run away or keep eating? If they are in the habit of staying out of the hens' personal space in the daytime, they would not feel safe roosting really close at night either.

If the chicks are getting off because of the hens, you could try adding another roost. It needs to be far enough away that hens on the one roost cannot peck chicks on the other roost. It's OK for it to be lower than the main roost, but it should probably be higher than the nestbox. (You might be able to use a stepladder or a chair or a wooden crate or something of the sort, since there are only two chicks.) Then you can try putting the chicks on the new roost in the evening, and see if they are willing to sleep there.

When I put them on the roost with the other hens, they did peck them, however we have a second roost on the other side of the sleeping area, far enough away so the other hens could not reach. They refused to stay on that pole, either.

They have been with the flock for around 2 months and they seem fairly comfortable with each other. They are still definitely at the bottom and get harassed a little bit over treats, but overall they have integrated fairly well.

Can you block the nesting boxes at night and open them up in the morning? Will hopefully only take them a few days to get accustomed to being on the roost...
Yep, this!^^^

I rigged a nest cover and close it an hour before roost time,
then uncover when I lock up after dark.
(They get up way before me)
full

full

Back
Top Bottom