Pullets sleeping in nest boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BackItUp.PlayItSlow, May 23, 2018.

1. BackItUp.PlayItSlow

BackItUp.PlayItSlow In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    West Newbury, MA
    How do I curb this? They moved into their coop this week, and every evening I go move them once or twice out of the nest boxes onto the roosting bars. Is there a better way to stop this? I don’t have shavings in the boxes yet because the birds are only about 10-12 weeks old. FD51A3D7-56D3-43AD-88F9-090D6A23C615.jpeg

2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    put a piece of cardboard or wood up to block them so they can't get up there.

3. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Crowing

Apr 24, 2018
    Allen county ohio
    X2

4. BackItUp.PlayItSlow

Mar 22, 2018
    West Newbury, MA
    Thanks, I’ll try this. I was afraid it would deter them from laying in there so I hadn’t wanted to block the boxes off.

5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Later, once they get closer to point of lay, remove the board and add fake eggs so they know where to put them. Also, make sure your roosting bars are higher up than your nest boxes. Chickens naturally want to sleep high.

ETA for spelling. How did I come up with 'thickens?!" I typed a lisp I don't even have?!

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    BackItUp.PlayItSlow and aart like this.
  6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have used, partially filled with water, milk jugs too. The water makes them heavy enough to keep in the nest. Pull them out in the morning, in in the evening.

I also put a board up on the roost. I started doing this with a broody hen and chicks. Just this week, my chicks, without a broody hen, went to the board the very night I put it up... course tonight they were back in the nest. I put them up there. Ugh!
    Higher roosts than the nest help a lot too! It just takes a litter persistence.

7. sirrobyn0

sirrobyn0 Songster

Feb 1, 2015
    I think we have all dealt with this at some point. Because I have other adult chickens I can't really block off the nesting boxes especially if there is a hen sitting. What I ussually do is either leave them in the nesting boxes, they will eventually figure out to roost on their own or after they are pumpkins pick them up and put them on a roost. Seems like they figure it out a little quicker that way.

BackItUp.PlayItSlow likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Like after midnight? :lol: Good one!

I too have adult birds when chicks are present, so I rigged a hinged cover.
    Put it down an hour before roost time, then flip it back up after dark when locking up.
    It's very handy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BackItUp.PlayItSlow

Mar 22, 2018
    West Newbury, MA
    That’s something I think I could manage to add. Last night I found 7 of them in the nests. I don’t mind moving them after dark, but would prefer if they put themselves to bed on the roosting bars!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That gets old fast and it can take longer to 'train' them to roost elsewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by