pullet's tail trembles. Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HortenseCumberbatch, Jun 26, 2011.

1. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi there. I have a pullet that's tail trembles pretty frequently but not all of the time. Is this normal? The other two chicks I have don't seem to tremble. Any idea if there is something wrong with her? She is the smallest/youngest of the bunch. Thanks.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    How old is the pullet? There can be many nuerological things that can cause trembling in birds. If she is living a normal life, than I wouldn't worry about it. I have a female quail that has neck tremors nearly everyday. She had cocci as a baby and I think it weakened her system. She lives a fairly normal life, but has tremors in her neck.

I have never heard of tail trembles, but it is very possible that she has some genetic issue causing it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I am not super sure how old she is. She's at least 6 weeks. I examined her more closely after I posted and she's very strong, she seems to be the smartest of the bunch (finds tasty bits and runs away from everyone more often, steals food from ducks, things like that) and nothing else seems to be wrong with her. I'm going to try not to worry about it for now and she how she does. Thanks for the response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by