Pullets that wont lay at 24-25 weeks old. If I got a rooster in would that help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smallbluejellybean, Oct 10, 2013.

1. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    My chickens still will not lay eggs.
    No hiding places for them to lay elsewhere.
    They are squatting and doing the egg song for weeks and week, but no eggs.
    They go in and out of the laying box all the time, doing their song.
    I was wondering if I rented a rooster for a week or two if that would stimulate them to lay?
    I have a small threesome of a RIR, New Hampshire and a Black Star,
    There is a place that I know of that rent roosters, so that would be no problem.
    If I did this would they go broody on us? I wouldn't really mind them having their own chicks, as long as they just start laying at all.
    What should I do?

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    They will lay regardless if there is a rooster present or not. A good way to check if your hens are ready to lay is by placing your hand on their backs, if they drop to the ground then they should be laying or at least in a week or so. The dropping when placing the hand on their backs is like a rooster would do for mating. Keep in mind that some breeds take longer than others to start laying and the weather has a lot to do with it as well. If you cannot be 100% sure they are not laying elsewhere I suggest you keep them in the coop/run for a couple of days and see if you get any eggs. Honestly though by 7 months they should be laying and you are almost there.

3. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Yes, all of them are drooping down when I pat them and have been doing this for weeks. I will do another search around the yard to see if there is anything, but its mostly lawn and not many places for them to hide. I have tried keeping them in and got nothing. I had them in for 2 days last earlier this week and no eggs. Thank you for your advise and I hope they do something soon, because I have become very attached to them. I wouldn't cook them really, but my husband in frustration has suggested it. He use to be slaughter-man, he wouldn't have any problem doing that, but I would stop him.

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Don't worry they'll start laying soon. My Black Australorp was 28 week when she layed her first egg. My 4 Dominiques were at 26 weeks.

5. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Thanks. I guess its just a waiting game. I kept thinking maybe they just plain hated me.

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Don't think chickens have the ability to withhold eggs out of spite lol

Two possibilities, they just need a week or two more or something is eating them. If you think there is any possibility its the later just put an egg in the nesting box and see if its still there in the morning. If it is then just some more patience needed :)

7. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Thanks, well I was wondering with all the indications that should lay eggs and no production. I thought it might be me.
    I have tried the egg thing and the eggs remain their the next day. So will have to wait it out some more.
    Also, their vents are huge and wet, but they have been that way for weeks now.
    I guess I will just have to go out and give them a bit a of girly pep talk. Maybe that will help.

8. gwydiana

gwydiana Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    All five of my girls are right around 25 weeks old and nothing yet. No egg songs or squatting either..... :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by