Pullets think husband is HOT - Will they EVER lay an egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cruelshoes, Aug 31, 2007.

1. cruelshoes

cruelshoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2007
    Washington State
    When Steve goes into the coop and tries to pick up any of the pullets, they squat down, spread their wings a bit and squinch their eyes shut. I think they think he is one hot rooster. They are about 20 weeks old, I think. Their wattles and combs have gotten a lot bigger and redder in the last week or so. I keep thinking they must be ready, but there are still no eggs.

How long can this possibly go on???

2. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Should see some eggs soon. My Silkie girl never stopped squating for me. It makes them easier to catch.[​IMG]

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I bet they will be laying soon. I think about a week after I noticed the squatting that one out of 15 hens were starting to lay. How old are your hens?

4. cruelshoes

Aug 3, 2007
    Washington State
    They are 20 weeks old, if memory serves. Steve has it memorized to the day, but I can't remember the finer details. [​IMG]

Honestly, this is worse then waiting to have a baby. It just seems to be taking FOREVER.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just gotta be patient. They will come soon.

6. lindseykoehler

lindseykoehler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    Napa, California
    All 3 of my hens squat down for me too! They began doing it right before they started laying. I think it's a good sign your hens will be laying soon!

7. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    LOL! Sorry it's just such a hilarious image--Steve walking in and the hordes of teenage girls falling over and swooning as though Elvis has just ENTERED the building!

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    All my hens turned 20 wks old last wed on Aug 22. I have 3 diff breeds. (Silverlaved wyandotte, Rhode island reds, and Auracanas).

One SLW layed her first egg last fri. She's not laying everyday yet.
    I have one RIR that is laying.....that's it out of 15 hens. I'm so ready. I know how you feel. It's so hard to be patient. I am so thrilled everytime I find an egg. I love these chicken!

Keep us posted! I bet you'll be posting your first egg pict soon.

Good luck,
    kim

9. cruelshoes

Aug 3, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:You are right - it is pretty funny. I asked him if he was flattered and he looked at me like I had 2 heads. [​IMG]

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The hens see him as top roo. They are on point of lay, so CONGRATS!
    Soon you will be over run with eggs.

My silkie squats for me at any time. Her name is Peanut. I say "Hi Peanut!" and she slams to the position.
    "Want a treat, Peanut?" SLAM
    "Come here Peanut" SLAM
    She is really easy to catch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by