1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet's Vent Lookin' Odd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beth K., Dec 23, 2011.

1. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    My BR pullet Sabrina could lay any day now. I checked on her vent a few minutes ago and it's not discolored but it's bloodied (mildly) and "puckering" rapidly. She has been getting a lot of attention from my roos lately; is that a factor? Or did she lay an egg? I can't find one. (Doesn't mean it's not there.) [​IMG]

She's acting normal and touch didn't bother her. What's going on?

Sorry, I don't have pics.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    She may be egg bound. You need to feel her abdomen just under her vent and see if you can feel the egg. If you feel the egg, you may need to intervene to help her deliver it. If it's a little bloody, she may have just laid one somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Well, her abdomen is soft (I didn't check it again, but I don't remember feeling anything. I'll check when I put them away tonight.) She has never laid before. Couldn't find an egg, and I looked all over!

Thanks!

4. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Checked her abdomen and did not feel anything hard except her bones. [​IMG] I felt something hard and was thinking "Oh no..." when I realized it was her breastbone. [​IMG]

Maybe she laid an egg and I couldn't find it. There was a gap in the fence plenty big enough for a chicken to go through. Maybe she sneaked out? I don't think she would though. Made sure I fixed the gap.

5. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Anybody have a clue?

6. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Leave her alone for three to four days. My butt would be puckering quickly too if you kept lifting my tail and squeezing me!

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    She may have gotten a scratch somehow, or the rooster was too rough with her, or another hen pecked at her, or she was a little constipated. As long as she's acting fine and not in obvious distress, I wouldn't worry about it.

8. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Okay, thank you! She's acting normal and her poo is fine, so I will leave her be. Ya'll are so wonderful!

Thank you, SmokinChick, I needed that laugh.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Quote:Oh my thanks for the early morning laugh!!!!!

I would be patient too,but I would peek for prolapse.Had that happen with my one and I had to clean her up(bath),push things in,and apply hem cream.Ugh,the things we do for them.

If the roo is sexing her way to much give her a break by seperating her or the roo.If there is a tear you coud apply some antibio cream or herbs for kids herbal salve to aide in healing.

10. Beth K.

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Well, she's been laying just fine and looking good since late December. [​IMG] Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by