Pullets??? Virginia

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mika5456, May 4, 2017.

1. mika5456

mika5456 New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Hello,

We are starting out on backyard chickens and we are interested in purchasing some chickens. I am not experienced enough to handle baby chicks and prefer to have slightly older ones that are about close to producing eggs if not already. I am also curious how to search for good birds. I want to start small maybe 5-6 until I can feel comfortable enough to get more.

So far I have read that the following are pretty calm and gentle--and ofcourse one is for the looks because it is a beautiful bird!

Buff Orpington

Rhode Island Red -RIR

Golden Comet

Golden Laced Wyandotte

I am located in Eastern part of Hanover, Old Church Mechanicsville area. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Buff Orpington are very, very friendly, as are barred rocks. I haven't had experience with the other breeds

3. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Rhode Island reds are not friendly and are aggressive to other chickens. It would be hard to introduce new birds into an established flock as a novice. Some people like the Reds and would argue with me but I had a flock of 20, and never again. They were cannabalistic. You would gain a lot of experience starting with chicks, which you could make friendly to you. Read up on our website and learn what to do. It's not hard.

4. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I have Goldens, they are very friendly, and My blue Wyandotte is the sweetest bird but then again I raised them from chicks.

5. Chickguy74

Chickguy74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2017
    Texas
    Out of the ones you mentioned. Definitely Buff Orps, and Wayandotes. RIR roos tend to be aggressive in my experience.

6. mika5456

mika5456 New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you for your reply...we are picking up some hopefully this weekend. I am only wanting to pick from one farm as I want the transition to be a little bit less stressful.

7. mika5456

mika5456 New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Also thank you for the info on RIR, I would hate to start a flock and then have that one that terrorizes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by