Pullets vs. Hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UrbanChick101, Aug 17, 2010.

1. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I am new to chickens and am soon getting pullets ~ what exactly is the difference between a pullet and a hen?

2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    First of all - WELCOME! You will soon be addicted to chickens and other fowl things. [​IMG]
    A pullet is a young female chicken that has not begun to lay. Once they start laying then they are referred to as hens.
    A cockerel is a young male, once they reach sexual maturity they are called roosters. Or soup. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

[​IMG] Welcome! She said it all! Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The purely technical difference is when they are a year old. Female chickens under a year old are pullets, those over are hens. Male chickens under a year old are cockerels, those over are roosters.

However, I tend to go with the "sexual maturity" definition for both. It makes more sense to me. (Not unlike that scary biological event in my young life - so many eons ago - that caused my mother to say, "You're a woman, now, honey." [​IMG] )

1 person likes this.
  5. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

And the 1 year old part is the truth. Pullets become hens at a year of age. And cockerals become roosters at a year of age.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by