1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets want to lay...but hens won't them!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannybell, Aug 5, 2013.

1. shannybell

shannybell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    I have 10 hens that started laying last year. I recently moved these hens and my pullets from this year (over a couple of weeks) just before bedtime to our new coop about a month ago. The pullets have not started laying yet and I wanted to get everybody moved and situated before that happened. They all get along pretty well although the older hens can be a bit bossy at times.
    My concern is that the older girls are keeping the younger ones from exploring the nesting boxes. They are of laying age now and several of them try to come in and explore but are run off most of the time. I have plenty of boxes and have even added more now out in the covered play yard. It's so frustrating to watch these timid younger girls come in knowing that they need to lay an egg and watch them be chased off. What else can I do?

Edited to say: I know this is silly, but my older hens want to be close to me, so I will even go out to the chicken yard and walk way away from the coop so they will follow me to give the younger ones access to the nesting boxes without being harassed. But whenever one of the older ones catches sight of that, she has to go "handle" it. Ugh!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Occasionally give treats far from the coop and the older birds will be too busy to worry about the nests.

You did good adding more nests.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If those pullets are ready to lay eggs, they'll lay eggs. They'll lay them where ever they can, trust me they won't hold it if they can't make it to a nice box you made. They'll make a nest somewhere or just start dropping them in the yard. Sounds like you might not have enough space? How many birds and how much space are we working with?

4. shannybell

shannybell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    I have the nine hens and one roo from last year. Miscounted my hens earlier, thought there were 10. I have many more new pullets...7 EE's, 4 silver leghorns, 5 GLW (and a roo), 4 coronation Sussex (and 2 roos), and several young Roos that we hatched here that I'm desperately trying to find homes for. All in all, there are 39 in the yard and coop. I have 20 nesting boxes available for the 29 layers. My coop is not huge but I don't encourage them to hang out in there during the day as they have a large shady yard/run as well as a covered play area where their food is kept. Although those big old Sussex and the young Roos love to sneak in there and hang out in front of the fan on these hot days [​IMG]
    Edited to add pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by