Pullets were vaccinated for coccidiosis and merek's disease at 1 day old. Unknowingly feeding medicated feed..

eclipse123

Hatching
Aug 17, 2020
Central North Carolina
We just got two pullets and were told they were vaxxed for coccidiosis and merek's disease at 1 day old. Us, being new to pullets went ahead and got Kalmbach Feeds 18% Protein Start Right Medicated Chick Feed that has amprolium. How will this mistake affect them? We got them on 8/14 and hope we can switch them to non medicated food unless its too late. We also got four more pullets from another person that same day who didnt vaxx, and they've have all been together since. The two vaxxed ones have most of their fathers and the lady who we got them from said they were already coop ready, so we dont mind putting them in the new coop but we just felt it was necessary to keep them all inside for a few days first. So if need be we can just put the two vaxxed ones outside with non medicated food and keep the other four inside with medicated food for a few weeks.
Thank you!

Since hou have already been feeding the medicated feed to your pullets, I would just feed everyone medicated feed until you decide to stop feeding that at some point. I have fed medicated to one group and non-medicated the second year with chicks, and have never had a case of coccidiosis. No need to make things complicated, just put them all on medicated or non-medicated. Keep your bedding as dry as possible, and learn the signs of coccidiosis. Corid is a common medication from your feed store if there are any problems. Good luck with your chicks.

Thank you! So there really isnt any benefit to move over the vaxxed two to the coop anymore?At this point we should just keep all 6 of them together eating the medicated food for a while and move them over as we planned?

I would worry more about their age and size, and the need for heat when deciding to put them all together. If the vaccinated ones have had the medicated feed, their coccidia vaccine is no longer affective, so it doesn’t matter which feed you use.

Since hou have already been feeding the medicated feed to your pullets, I would just feed everyone medicated feed until you decide to stop feeding that at some point. I have fed medicated to one group and non-medicated the second year with chicks, and have never had a case of coccidiosis. No need to make things complicated, just put them all on medicated or non-medicated. Keep your bedding as dry as possible, and learn the signs of coccidiosis. Corid is a common medication from your feed store if there are any problems. Good luck with your chicks.
Thanks. We have them in the bathroom tub with towels, and hay on top. By keeping dry you mean cleaning up their poop often?

If they are all the same age, great. Are the new chicks younger, needing a heat source? That's different, they will need it. Can they all go out together with a heat source for the younger birds?
Mary

So send them all out! Safest to continue the medicated feed, which needs to be fed for a couple of weeks in their new environment to be effective.
Some of us have never had issues with coccidiosis, and don't use the medicated chick starter. That could change any time for us!
Other flocks will have problems with every batch of chicks without the medication!
Mary

Thanks. We have them in the bathroom tub with towels, and hay on top. By keeping dry you mean cleaning up their poop often?
Keeping bedding dry and changed often so they are not exposed to so many droppings. Raise waterers as the chicks grow to keep them from pooping in them. Moisture and a warm environment can promote coccidiosis. Signs to watch for are runny droppings, sometimes with blood or mucus, lethargy, standing around puffed up or hunched, and not eating. Here is a decent article on coccidiosis:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

Back
Top Bottom