Pullets who don't forage or eat treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momesq, Jun 15, 2016.

1. momesq

momesq Just Hatched

Aug 9, 2015
    We recently added two pullets to our flock - they haven't been introduced to the other birds yet and are in their own coop. But I am concerned because all they eat is the feed they are provided - they have ignored watermelon, Romaine, blueberries and they don't go after bugs in the grass. They are definitely eating a fair amount of their feed so I'm not worried that they are starving but I am a little concerned that the only thing that they are eating is their feed?

Am I overthinking this? They seem ok otherwise. They are an Easter Egger and a silver Wyandotte.

My kids have a theory that they don't get treats before and the other chickens will need to "teach" them how to eat them, but they are from another backyard flock, so I don't know about that....

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that your kids are correct.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. momesq

momesq Just Hatched

Aug 9, 2015
    They will be happy to hear that - nothing brings joy to a kid like proving their mother wrong!! I am going to let everyone free range together in a few days, I've been letting my flock range around the new chickens' coop - hopefully the new girls get the idea soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by