Pullets - winter laying - BO and SLW

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karu, Jan 6, 2008.

1. karu

karu Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2008
    Schenectady County, NY
    Our pullets are 7 months old now, we see our Buff Orpingtons constantly laying, even on cold days - below 20 F, however we don't see our Silver Laced Wyandottes working as hard as Buffs. Buffs started laying really early and lay large eggs, we had a humongous egg yesterday –2 3.4 ‘’ long – had never seen a double yolker like this one. Our record - 17 eggs a day with 37 pullets, although they are stealing those eggs and we don't know how many they manage to steal - they don't leave much evidence [​IMG]
    I was reading here and there about our breeds – both are very cold hardy, SLW supposedly are better layers than Buffs. Both of them came from Meyer hatchery, at the same time. Couple of weeks ago we lost one of SLW – just found her dead, and this is our first loss since we got them, (not counting 3 newly arrived chicks whom we lost in 3 days interval). So the question is - is it a winter causing problems with BLW laying or could be anything else ?[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    In my opinion, buff orps will beat out slw during the winter, but slw's will beat out buff orps during the summer. The heat is hard on orps and they slow down more often in summer weather.

Jody

3. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Sorry to hear about your SLW loss. I'll leave it to the more experienced people on the site to maybe come up with an explanation.

Our 7 month BOs just started laying last week! Thank goodness. . .

Kay

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Our SLW pullet is laying every day, usually for 6 or 7 days (once even 10!) before taking a break of one day.

Our BO hen (this is her second winter), however, has only laid 2 eggs in the last 40 days!!!! ARGH!

Stacey

5. karu

karu Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2008
    Schenectady County, NY
    Thanks to all for your feedbacks [​IMG]
    Finding more of those small beginner's eggs now, I guess new ones are trying to lay.
    Another challenge is not to let them eat those eggs, my husband has a home improvement job to do [​IMG] - improve nests to hide the eggs from those hungry mammas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by