Pullets with a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ajyetzer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ajyetzer

ajyetzer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Hi everybody! [​IMG]

Several months ago we got 5 chicks. We started them out in a brooder box, but it wasn't long before we transferred them outside to live in a bunny hutch with an enclosed run. Well, now they are young pullets, and are definitely outgrowing their hutch and run. I'm really wanting to put them in the big coop with our other birds (1 rooster and 3 hens), but they are not big enough for the rooster to mate with them, so I'm not sure if he'd hurt them.

The 5 little ones are 10 weeks old. Would they be safe if I were to transfer them to the big coop? Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You have more to worry about with the adult hens in the group than the rooster most likely. At ten weeks, they will still be pretty small. Most don't fully integrate until the youngsters are close in size to the adults. Maybe you could section an area off for them inside the big run and take a few weeks to let everyone get use to each other???

3. dragontamer56

dragontamer56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I have 9, 11 week old pullets in with my flock of 8 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster leaves them alone and even makes sure there inside when we free range them and they go in to roost for the night. The hens don't bother them exept for the one hen that gets picked on. She is pretty small and is the same size as the pullets. She's really mean and i am thinking of turning her into dog food. But i didn't have a huge problem with putting the pullets in the coop expept the adults get the run and the pullets get the coop during the day, but we free range them for a couple hours a day.

4. ajyetzer

ajyetzer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks guys; I appreciate the advice. I think I'm probably just going to wait a week or so more, and then join them together. Both runs are right next to each other, so the little ones and the big ones are fairly comfortable with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by