Pullets with snotty nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Netherfieldmom, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Netherfieldmom

Netherfieldmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2007
    My folks picked up some pullets for me yesterday and two are sneezing and have clear drops from their nose. I put them under heat lamp, as they were all hunched up like they were uncomfortable, and they seem somewhat better. I have never dealt with anything like this before, so I wondered if I should wait it out or intervene somehow...

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    A runny nose on a chicken is almost always a sign of respiratory disease - which they will always carry. Don't let those new birds anywhere near your existing flock, if you already had chickens.

There are some differing opinions around here about what to do about respiratory disease. At my house, those runny nosed girls would sadly have to be culled in order to save the healthy birds i already have.

So sorry.

3. Netherfieldmom

Netherfieldmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2007
    So, they won't "get over it"--it can reoccur whenever??

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I don't have personal experience with respiratory illness in chickens, but it is my understanding that it can re-occur, and that even when they are not symptomatic, they can pass on the disease to healthy birds. I'm sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by