Pullets won't leave the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nutmeg259, Aug 11, 2014.

1. nutmeg259

nutmeg259 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Yesterday I purchased two 14 week old Black Giant pullets. They were living in a large horse stall with 20+ other pullets. I brought them home and put them in a temporary coop, thinking they were plenty old enough to live outside. It is 12:15 (my time) and they have yet to leave their coop. I'm thinking this is because the poor birds had never seen the light of day until yesterday? I feel bad. I'm wondering if I should just let them acclimate, or move them into the garage for a bit and slowly increase their time outside?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens hate change - they are still adjusting to their new environment. Give them time. As soon as they feel comfortable, they will venture outside.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto what they said^^^

Do they have an enclosed run or free range? If only free range and no run you'll want them to stay in the coop for at least 3-4 days anyway so they can 'home' to the coop and come back at dusk.

4. nutmeg259

Jul 13, 2014
    They have an enclosed run that surrounds their coop. Right now they are by themselves but can see the other birds in a nearby run.

5. nutmeg259

Jul 13, 2014
    Yesterday I got really nervous because one was just laying on her side in the coop. I ended up putting the food and water inside the coop and observed them eating later in the afternoon so that was a relief.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Give them a few days to get settled and acclimated, they'll investigate the run soon.

Are you practicing medical quarantine and bio-security?

7. nutmeg259

Jul 13, 2014
    I have SO much to learn... I thought I was doing the smart thing by keeping new birds in a different coop/run. After reading your question about medical quarantine and bio security, I did some quick research and learned that my coops are way too close together! I guess hubby will be helping me move the temporary coop later...

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, you did do a smart thing by keeping them in separate coops!

Moving them farther apart would still help, especially if one is acting off.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by