Pullets won't roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wyo Chick, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a few pullets that will not roose. The other pullets will. I have had them now for awhile.

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have one that was bought with the ducks and she doesn't roost with the other chickens. She stays low on a plank close to the ducks. She is a weird EE. She hang with them all day too. My mother calls her TOD (The Other Duck)[​IMG] I don't think it will hurt, Eventually they may roost.

3. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Wyo,
    I had several (maybe 5 or 6 of my 28) pullets who would NOT get on the roost at night until they were 14-15 weeks old. They huddled together in a corner of the coop, and if I tried to place them on the roost one by one, they - one by one- jumped right off and headed for that corner again. However, thru NO effort or intervention on my part, they all now roost happily with the others. I cannot explain, can only report... don't worry too much about it, they'll come around.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Nostalchic pretty much sums it up. They will come around. As a matter of fact I have one set hatched out in the 3rd week of June that are just now trying to roost. (Older hens pushing them away). My eight that were hatched in late July still huddle in the enclosed box of the rabbit hutch.

5. buck431397

buck431397 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Pilesgrove, NJ
    I have three 9 wk olds who still snuggle on the ground.... with the ducks.... who they grew up with.... don't know if theyll ever be normal...[​IMG]

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Henry'schickens :

I have one that was bought with the ducks and she doesn't roost with the other chickens. She stays low on a plank close to the ducks. She is a weird EE. She hang with them all day too. My mother calls her TOD (The Other Duck)[​IMG] I don't think it will hurt, Eventually they may roost.

[​IMG] too funny....the other duck.....A case of mistaken identity...[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My chicks go into their coop from day one. I have a roost for them about 3 inches off the floor of the coop. They just turned 3 months old and every night at dusk they all go into their coop and onto their roosts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    How cute, cmom! I still have some (about 10) 16 week old pullets that huddle together on the top of the nest boxes. I keep a thick layer of wood chips up there so it is easy to clean up. A few of the others their age will try the roosts occasionally. They are discouraged by the older pullets and not allowed on the highest roost.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by