Pullets, Yes??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KDbeads, Sep 4, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Well, hubby has really jumped into the whole chicken thing and really wanted some of his own! So for a late B-day gift I picked these up today. They were picked up an hour from here at a breeder as ameraucana, though I'm fairly sure they are EE, please correct if I'm wrong. Supposed to be 4 months though I think #3 may have been an escapee from the 3 month old enclosure.
    They complained to me about me cat carriers the entire drive back home.

Contestant #1 (really doesn't like me right now....) has really dark slate colored legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Contestant #2 has olive green legs and wants the lizard on the pine tree
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pictured with #3, #2 is on left:
    [​IMG]

Contestant #3 last but not least though looks younger than the others and has dark slate legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Very pretty pullets you got there!

Congrats on your new girls! [​IMG]

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I think the first may be cockeral. I swear I see saddle feathers there.

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Nah, those EEs can be deceiving. I see all young ladies there!

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    You'l know for sure when she gives you eggs. [​IMG]

6. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    #1 is a fair bit lighter pink in the comb than either of the others, hence why I figure pullet but... I don't think hubby will care. We'll see in another few months either way.

That's the one who argued with my music all the way home and complained about 'her' crate. Can't find many chickens that like Nickelback these days [​IMG] Though I think the smaller one liked the music, got really interested in me when I sang along.

7. Homeonthefarm

Homeonthefarm New Egg

Jul 13, 2009
    Beautiful Chickens! They're very alike my very own araucanas, yes. They ought to give you beautiful blue eggs!

8. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    So how do you tell the difference between a real ameraucana and an EE? I think I read something about the color on the bottom of their feet?

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Ameraucanas only come in certain colors and the legs, eyes and feathers all adhear to a standard. EE's are generally mixed and come in all shapes and sizes.

you have all Pullets I think oh and they are Easter Eggers for sure, but very pretty I have a hen just like them and she lays a very blue egg and although she is my smallest bird she is on the top of the pecking order. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    They're all pullets. Some EEs (not all) are easy to sex by their coloring/patterns and you're lucky - all of yours definitely have the female EE feather patterning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by