Pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickgal, May 15, 2016.

1. thechickgal

thechickgal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi, I have 10 pullets. Two barred rock, who are 5 months old, and two light Brahmas, two RIR mixes, two ISA browns, and two silver laced wyandottes who are all about 4 months old. I was wondering when they will all start laying. Also if there is any signs to look for as to when they will start laying.

Alexis

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The sex links should start around 4 months, the rest will probably start from 5-8 months. The combs and wattles will get bright red, shiny, and enlarged. Your hens will probably begin to vocalize loudly and they will start checking out the nestboxes. Make sure to have some ceramic eggs in there to show them it's safe.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Quote:
    Yep. oldhenlikesdogs just covered it all! All my pullets (except the silkies) began laying around 5 or 6 months (i was surprised they started laying so soon) [​IMG]

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    basically, they should start laying pretty soon. are their combs/wattles red?

5. thechickgal

thechickgal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    Yes all of them except for the Brahmas have slightly red combs/waddles that seem to get redder each week

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    get ready for eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by