1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chittyn, Nov 20, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    i have 4 rir 13 week old chicks i have been feeding them grower but i have run out so have started to feed them on corn and pellets is that ok ?

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    The grower food has what they need a lot of protien so they can grow, maybe you should go get another bag, i done that with my second bunch when i ran out i moved them to pellets and they grew so slow after that and stayed kind of small i was worry about them, but they finally got bigger.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:Agreed.
    You can feed grower to layers but not vice versa.
    Corn will definitely further cut the protein intake.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    ETA: double post glitch

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  5. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    so feeding them layer pellets now wont do that much harm ???

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    We're saying it will do harm. Excessive calcium can cause kidney damage and kill.

Growing birds should get 1% Calcium, Layers 4%.

7. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    oo what about corn ?? actually they are 14 weeks old ...............

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They need feed. Corn is just one incomplete grain product. Feed Starter, Grower, or Raiser.

9. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Corn is ok but not complete, if they are on corn, they must have plenty of greens, a vitamin supplement that has low calcium and some source of protein like boiled/scrambled eggs or I used to give my old lot a forkfull of catfood between two birds daily.
    Also they'll need grit.
    My 2 old girls died of old age rather than disease or anything so they can't have suffered too bad a diet from that!
    They went on corn from around 12 weeks old, had the daily portion of cat food, cage bird vitamin powder and a cabbage a week, also had grit available to them always.
    I didn't know much about chickens, and I didn't have access to the internet or a library, I basically learned as I went. They did fine. [​IMG]

10. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    The easy way to go would just to get some more chick starter or some flock raiser, and you would also know that they would be harmed with that feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by