Pullets

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ksrygler, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ksrygler

ksrygler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2014
    Avoca, indiana
    I have a question about my chicken purchases. For all I know this could be standard, as I am sure sexing a freshly hatched chick is no easy task...... But I bought pullets from several different sources last year, breeder, 2 farm supplies, and ordered from hatchery. I still ended up having several roosters that of course we had to re-home because of our small flock. Is there any sorce that would lower my chances of this happening again? By the time we know they are roosters my daughter is very attached and it's not easy to find new homes for these guys.......

Thanks
    Kristi

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

XxMingirlxX X2 Stick with the birds that can be sexed by feather coloring. You can't go wrong there!!

Some hatcheries are really good with sexing chicks. The chick sexer at Privett Hatchery here in New Mexico is fantastic. He is 99% accurate every time.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to our flock!

4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    I ordered 15 from Meyers and all were pullets.

5. missgoosemama

missgoosemama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    North East Oregon
    Murray McMurray (sorry if I spelled their name wrong) has a 90% guarantee in which they will either refund you the money or send you more chicks. I have to double check but I think it is a refund....

(Edited due to spelling error)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can get sexed birds from My Pet Chicken and don't have to make large orders. or you could spend more and get' point of lay' pullets. Every one and his brother seems to be stuck with cockerels. My friend has had 3 "surprise" cockerels among pullets she has gotten. The last one was a 4 mos. silkie but, silkies are very difficult to sex.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Kristi. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on getting sex linked birds. Black and Red Sex Links are hardy, friendly, and the best brown egg layers in the world, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. They are the brown egg layers used by laying houses as they are egg laying machines. My Black Sex Links have been especially friendly and persistent layers even in very cold winter weather. And Sex Links (which are sold under a lot of different labels) are readily available at most hatcheries. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Most hatcheries guarantee 90-95% accuracy. Out of 30 hatchery chickens I am familiar with, one was a cockerel (almost 97% accurate).
    Or has been mentioned, you can go with an auto sexing breed or sex links.
    Sometimes if you buy locally and pay the pullet prices, they will make exchanges. I had gotten a breed I wamted at around 8 weeks when the breeder could tell the sexes apart and she said if any were roosters, she would exchange. None were.
    Now about the chickens I have hatched myself.......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by