Pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigmac03, Jan 12, 2015.

1. bigmac03

bigmac03 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    is it normal for new hens to not start laying in the winter. I have 10 redstars that were born june 30th 2014 im gettin about 2-3 eggs a day

2. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    It's very common for egg production to drop off in the winter. Days are shorter and that has something to do with it. A chicken is born with all the eggs she will ever lay so her resting isn't all bad. She'll just lay longer during her life. If egg production is really important to you, you can put a light on a timer in the coop. Set the timer so it goes on early in the morning rather than staying light longer in the day. Hope this helps.

3. bigmac03

Jul 6, 2014
    So they dont nessacerily HAVE to start laying within a certain time frame cause i have 3 thats laying and 7 thats never started

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Correct - there are many factors that can influence when an individual hen will begin to lay, and a wide range of "normal" time in which one might look to see it happen. It's like puberty in humans, there is no set age at which a child HAS to reach puberty, each does it in his/her own time.

5. bigmac03

Jul 6, 2014
    So it could be spring before they lay if thats what they want

6. bigmac03

Jul 6, 2014
    I also keep a feeder full of layer pellets because they cant free range is this bad? Can the get to fat to lay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by