PulletTrying to peck other pullet because i held her.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zinniah, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I have 5 pullets, 2 of them get upset when im petting or holding one of other 3 pullets. By upset i mean glaring at her, trying to peck, and being vocal. I am wondering what is causing this, all 5 of them dont mind being petted or held, but these 2 have issues when someone else is getting attention. They aren't vicious or anything, once i stop petting or holding the other pullet, they will stare at her, might try to peck her/do peck her a couple of times and then go back to what they were doing. The other 3 hens are under these 2 in the pecking order, because they will lower their heads and themselves a bit when this happens. I don't see why they should have an issues with me petting or holding them though.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Jealousy is a green eyed monster. Any possibility that 2 might be cockerels?

3. Zinniah

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    No, they're almost 6 months. They are also auto sexing breed.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You are probably messing with the pecking order, the higher ranking ones don't like the lower ones being held and are trying to remind them of their place, hens seem to get a bit goofy around the laying age, they get worked up over things that 6 months later won't matter to them, they are like moody teenage girls.

5. Zinniah

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I was worried it might be something like that. I rarely hold or pet them, because i don't want to get one picked on. So guess many ill start trying to hold them in a couple of months, or just wait until i get one by itself. They're so sweet and cuddly its a shame they're acting like this.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You might try scattering some treats during the petting times to distract them, or put one down and pick up the one who looks like trouble, I would suspect they are thinking you are like to rooster paying attention to them, usually the rooster would peck the aggressive trouble maker. Stepping back for a time should work as well.

7. Zinniah

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I had some cracked corn i gave them and it worked. When i put her back down, instead of trying to peck her they were eating the corn.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Great to hear, chickens are so silly.

9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Lol so true ;)

My top hen STILL gets jealous if anyone else is first in line for treats, first at the food pan, first on the roost... And she tormented a male African goose and my drake runner enough to traumatize them both from BR chickens :p

She is known as simply, "BIDDY" :D

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've seen this happen a couple times.....
    I just peck(fingertips to top of their head) the one trying to peck, if they persist hand push down on back until they submit.
    Works every time, sometimes takes a couple applications.
    I am the top hen [​IMG] But am also not much of a chicken cuddler, so don't handle birds every day.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by