Pulling another rescue tomorrow

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
'Senior' basset, 9.5 years old, female, fully vetted, HW- (thank heavens), single owner, dropped at a kill shelter after owner couldn't find a home for her, owner is moving out of the country. Several rescues tried to get this dog a few weeks ago when they had room but the owner refused to surrender to a rescue claiming that she could find a better place for her beloved basset on Craigslist. One of the rescues in Dallas was called about a senior owner surrender a few days ago. Same girl, we had pics of her from the owner while we were trying to help. All the rescues here in the state and close by are officially slammed so hubby and I are going to squeeze her in since her time is up Monday.

My only complaint? She didn't call any of the rescues that had offered to take this poor girl, she dumped her in a HIGH kill shelter. I can understand moving out of the country and not taking your dog, truly I do but we had a place for her to go 3 weeks ago and this person dumps her at a shelter.
barnie.gif

5 hour round trip.... Pics tomorrow.......

She's in Fort Worth. I have a couple of adoption leads, including one here in town. But if she needs to go somewhere later on down the line I can set up a transport/caravan.

'k, I know that a full grown bassett hound is not something DH would like, but if she doesn't find a good home maybe....

gig.gif

She'll make number old hound dog #5 (#3 for old hound dog in foster). Have a blind girl (foster), a tank (foster), a CRF guy and a grouchy thyroid guy..... Wonder what this girl will be like?

Don't know if you'd really want a counter surfing couch potato with Jax, that'd be a really bad influence
wink.png
wink.png

Have you ever owned a basset?

hugs.gif
I'm so glad you are rescuing her! Please show us some pictures when you get back!
ya.gif

I can't believe that someone would just drop their dog off at a high kill shelter! The only thing worse than that are when people just dump their critters on the side of the road.
rant.gif

Quote:
Yep, a long time ago. Jax doesn't need any help getting into trouble. He's figuring that out all on his own.
Good luck with her.
smile.png

Got Caddie. Been back long enough to get most of the putrid stank washed out of her fur. My other end of the transport called and warned me she was big but, I have Schroeder and he's huge so I didn't think much of it. Then I saw her, absolutely massive, she's BIGGER than Schroeder. 73 pounds.... can we say diet?? She has a few issues sitting and walking and breathes real heavy but give it about 2 months on the diet and she'll start feeling better. Well behaved in the truck on the ride back but here she's been a little stinker. Already tried to pee on the floor twice and poo once. So re house training will be necessary.

She has bite wounds everywhere, what I thought was a bot fly hole on her head is a very infected hole from a tooth. After she dries off I'll shave down the spots and flush them. And the collar she had on.... ick.... I'm tossing it, that was just too gross when it got wet and I normally save every single collar I can get.

Pics:
DSCF4539a.JPG

DSCF4542a.JPG

DSCF4543a.JPG

DSCF4545a.JPG

DSCF4548a.JPG

Look how happy she is that smile is contagious! Even with everything going on with her. What a trooper! I'd say congrats, but I'll wait until after her second bath.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom