1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pulling feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SowdersHomestead, Nov 20, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I picked up 5 Black Australorp hens and a BA roo last week. They are about 5 months old. When we initially got them they were in a small area in our pole building until we could get an area in the barn prepared for them. Today we moved them to the barn and I noticed ALOT of feather pulling between the hens. I bought them off the guy that runs the local feed store and he had just recently purchased them from one of his customers. I was wondering if the behavior may be produced by the added stress of being moved to so many different environments? Or are Australorps just a more aggressive breed?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Aussies are generally a non-aggressive breed, however each chicken can have it's own personality and I have one Aussie girl that is quite aggressive with the other Aussie girls. However all this being said, the aggressiveness in your flock could indeed be because they have been moved. Moving IS stressful on chickens.

Make sure you have them on a good diet, offer them plenty of room to get away from each other and several food and water stations so that everybody eats. Watch that none of the fighting turns bloody.

My highest ranking Aussie girl is so aggressive, (she could rip the hide off a buffalo) I have had to put "pinless peepers" on her to stop her ripping the others combs. So do what you have to do, watch to see whom is the most aggressive and you may need to separate them for a week or two until they all get adjusted. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. SowdersHomestead

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Today they were much better behaved. I think it was just the added stress.

4. SowdersHomestead

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    They were better behaved today. I think it was just the added stress of being moved again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by