1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pulling out feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Janine26, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Janine26

Janine26 New Egg

Apr 21, 2015
    Grass Lake MI
    I have 12 chickens total in my flock. They are 24 weeks old. My Golden Laced Wyandottes have been pulling feathers out underneath the wings on their thighs. The other ones go after the bare skin and peck until they bleed!! Its awful They have large wounds from the others pecking at them. I have treated the coop with DE, and the wounds with BlueKote. What causes this? Both of the chickens have wounds in the exact same place on both sides. They are eating and drinking fine and still laying. Is there anything I can do??? I'm at a loss and don't know what else to do. Any advice would be extremely appreciated!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have a large rooster with them? Is it possible that the injuries have been caused by a rooster? Tears in the backs/sides just in front of the legs are frequently caused by clumsy roosters breeding the hens, slipping and tearing their sides. Once injured the other birds frequently peck at the wounds.

3. Janine26

Janine26 New Egg

Apr 21, 2015
    Grass Lake MI
    No rooster~~

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do an on site search on pinless peepers. They work well at stopping such problems and can sometimes be removed once the injured birds have recovered. Do your birds have enough space?

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have used pinless peepers. They are almost miraculous! Work like a charm.

6. Janine26

Janine26 New Egg

Apr 21, 2015
    Grass Lake MI
    What are pinless peepers?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Google them. Pictures may help you understand.

They prevent the chicken that is wearing them from being able to zero in on feathers or wounds to peck them. But, they can still see to eat, drink and walk. I have used them on bully hens. It restores order in the hen house in short order. Some people take them off after a week or so. Once I put them on a hen they stay there.

8. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    I just googled them and got quite the laugh!

-Kathy

9. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    @Janine26 , welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

10. Janine26

Janine26 New Egg

Apr 21, 2015
    Grass Lake MI
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by