1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullorum Disease in 1 wk old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JessaLynn, Apr 21, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I just had to cull a chick who was suffering from Pullorum Disease.It was very weak,runny white poo and all.I'm scared for my other 40 chicks and wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem before and what did you do?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Pullorum, if that what it is, is a reportable. are you sure that's what it is, were did your chicks come from, a hatchery. If one has then they all probably have it. keep those birds away from anything else you have.

3. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I got 6 of them from TSC (MT.Healthy) and have lost two already.Similiar symptoms in both.I am not 100% certain that's what it is but the symptoms they had described it. Both were Buff Cochin and now I have a Patridge that seems lethargic.Any suggestions what I could give them or do to stop it?

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    If its pullorum they are all lost, but (mt. healthy) should be pullorum free. How long have you had them, are they with any other birds

5. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    OHH NOOO!! I hope it isn't that.[​IMG]
    I have had them since day old and now are over a week old.They are with my other batch that are from Welp Hatchery and those are 1 week old today.They are in my garage in a brooder. The one that just died had ruffled feathers,white poo,pasted butt,lethargic,kept it's eyes closed and just laid there.Could it be something else?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Call your local extention office or the state university and ask if there is any place that can do a necropsy.

7. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Shoot we already barried it. How long would it take for the disease to affect a chick?

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Lets hope so, you might want to separate the welp birds from the others. just to be safe but it might be passed on already, lets hope not [​IMG] I'm hoping that someone else answers you for I realy don't know, they are other things that could be wrong including a problem at TSC that you don't know about. Pullorum is passed through the egg. and dander from the chicks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Thanks for your help.I have seperated them now hoping it wont kill all of them whatever it is. [​IMG] I'm going to change the brooder litter and clean it real good to hoping it might help. So frustrating and heartbreaking [​IMG] My poor babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by