pullorum, dumb question about

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Aug 31, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I was thinking about showing if I got some chickens I thought were of SQ and I know I would need the testing.

Wouldn't you know if you had pullorum in your flock? Or could you have testing done and find out that it is present, but not visible?

I was thinking how terrible it would be to be all ready to show and find out that none of your birds could ever be shown!

2. ltrader

ltrader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Mine were tested before the fair for pullorum, typhoid, and avaian flu. It was a blood draw under the wing, they dried a drop of blood on the spot for the pullorum test, but the avian influenza was sent out and I got results back from the state a week or two later. ( all their results were fine) It was a blast to show them, but they did get sick ( apparently heat stress might have been a factor, another exhibitor had sick birds that were pulled mid week) Two of mine got sick, two are fine. I treated with sulmet like the superintendent advised ( he is a certified technician and did the health testing) The two that got ill are recovering, and after the fact, I asked their breeder who advised me to give terramycin two days before and after the show. Despite their getting ill, I think we are hooked and will try it again!

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    but wouldn't you know if you were having pullorum in your flock? birds would be getting sick and dying right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by