Pulsating butt!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gingers, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Gingers

Gingers New Egg

Feb 18, 2009
    Have just got my very first 3 ladies (pullets) and they all seem to be laying eggs ok. We got three today! When they first started laying one of the ladies had a soft egg still connected to her bottom (on the outside), which we removed ok. We have since noticed her bottom pulsating, and she seems to always sit down when we let them out to free range. Am I being a paranoid new mother or should I be worried? We have felt her for any eggs stuck inside and there doesn't seem to be any strange lumps. Any ideas?

2. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    I don't know the answer but I am voting this 'best title' thread. [​IMG]

I'm real new so I don't know if she's squatting for submissive reasons or might have an egg problem...hope somebody who knows more than I do (ie: everyone on the board) comes by to answer this for you.

3. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm seconding that motion for best titled! lol

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

she may still be maturing and the mechanism isn't quite right yet... make sure she has a good diet and offer extra calcium either by offering crushed oyster shell free choice or even finely ground eggshells. Some have even used crushed Tums since they're mainly calcium carbonate. [​IMG]

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens vent pulsate normally. Flip over another hen and you will see this.
    Do you have oyster shell free choice?

6. Val3rie

Val3rie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Long Island NY
    My chickens butts pulsate too..... it's obvious to me as they have no feathers from being pecked! It's not so noticable on the fully feathered birds.

7. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Val3rie, I have your icon's twin! My fave chicken, Sassy! Beard and all.

No recent pics and still don't have a photobucket acct.

8. Gingers

Gingers New Egg

Feb 18, 2009
    yes I thought this might get your attention! thanks for feedback - over the last few days it has lessened so she just might be adjusting to having to force something large out her butt for the first time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by