pulsating vent on 6 week old chick? + 2 other questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, May 25, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    while bringing in the little ones from their 'lawn time' yesterday, i noticed one of them had a bit of a bald area at the back and their vent was pulsating (for lack of a better word)
    ive never seen this on a chicken before..is it a sign of something being wrong?

also my 2 year old marans hen has a big bald patch on the side of her neck..could this be caused by another chicken pecking her?

many thanks

also while im here can i ask..can a chicken 'break' its tail? one 9 week old hens tail has started leaning to one side, so much now that it sticks at a 90 degree angle from her body. it starts at the base (where the tail meets the body) and sticks out to the side. could this be a deformity or an injury? and if injury..can i do anything for her?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have noticed that my girls have done that in the past and never had any thing come of it... Bald spots sound like either pecking or mites... Not sure ont he tail ?? sorry

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    little update, her whole back area around the vent is totally bald now... no sign of mites/lice, hses been kept apart from the others but still losing the fluff/feathers there?

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is the little one that's losing feathers around the vent?

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    around 8 or 9 weeks

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Maybe she is picking them off herself. Apply Blu Kote. I had one I am almost sure was doing it to herself, I did notice the vent pulsating so much clearer with the feathers gone. I think they all to some degree pulsate but when the feathers are gone you just notice it more. Look at the other chicks while on the ground and check and see, especially when they are chirpping. I think it is like a muscle thing since my chicks are still very young/small when one muscle in the abdoman moves they all kinda tense up. I am a very novice chicken owner and could be wrong. And if someone tells you otherwise diffently go with that. I will try and get a video today of what mine do and you can compare. I think I remember reading on here about a broken tail do a search for it.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    The pulsing is called "winking". I will never forget the thread on that one!! Wish I had it handy, but I don't...it was hilarious!! Now whenever someone winks, I think pulsating chicken vent......[​IMG]

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
  9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
  10. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Chicks 4 Kids I love your signature! I think my wings are long gone and I am currently looking for a new broom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by