Pulsating Vent???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mariaschickens, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mariaschickens

mariaschickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    I have a silkie hen who is under a year old and has only laid 3 eggs. Today i noticed that she had watery stool and had gotton some on her. when i was trying to clean her up a bit i noticed that her vent was pulsating, so i checked to see if she had laid which she had and her egg had stool all over it. Well, its been about 3 hours and her vent is still pulsating. Anybody have any idea what is causing this?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    The pulsating is normal, mine do it too. I don't know why it just does. And its not just when they lay its all the time.

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Remember your chicken is still relatively new to laying so you can expect things like that. She'll come round in a while. Yes, hens have almost constantly pulsating vents, it's perfectly normal and more noticeable when they are laying an egg.

4. mariaschickens

mariaschickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    thanks guys for the responses, i guess she'll be ok, she's acting fine now... i was just a little worried bc she was acting funny, she wasnt moving around and she wasn't eating or drinking. but, she is now....thanks again!

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yeah she was probably a bit stressed about the laying business but she'll be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by