PUMP FOR POND!!! Please help. Need advice. And pics of set ups please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Jul 29, 2011.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Put pond in yesterday for the duckies. Going today to look at pumps. Its a 30 gallon pond and I was thinking about a sump pump that process 80 gallons a hour. Or at least that is what I was told to get. Do you think that would work and keep my pond some what clean? (I know clean is impossible with ducks [​IMG] ) and What would i have to do as far as up keep?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. featherfinder

Anyone? I really know nothing about pumps and am completly going by what people tell me.

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

30 Gal pond..? wouldnt it be easier just to drain and refill ?? Mine is around 270 gl. During these super hot summer months I drain everyday , rinse , refill. Nice cool water then. bleach once a week.... otherwise I change every couple days.. Super easy.. no messing with pumps, filters , elec. !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. featherfinder

Yeah that is the idea i had in mind to do then my bf and my mom said something about getting a pump and i said it would be fine cause im the one taking care of it anyway. But the both insisted on a pump and my mom said she would buy is so thats whats going to happen. Im out numbered lol.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    What is the pump going to do? Do you have any type of filter set up?
    A 30 gallon pond for 5 ducks? It is just going to circulate dirty water.

I just don't see what a pump is going to do for it. You are going to have to dump it daily regardless, save the electricity.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    A pump alone won't do a whole lot. It will aerate the water, allowing algae to grow. Which can be both good or bad. In a small pond with a lot of nutrients from duck poo, it will probably become a solid green mass in short order.

To really clean it, you will need something more sophisticated, like a mechanical/biological filter system and possibly an ultraviolet water "scrubber" to kill pathogens and unwanted algae, etc.

Really, with a 30 gallon tub, just dump it, rinse it, and refill every day.

7. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Don't put the pond in the ground place it above ground level just high enough that a drain will clear. Build you a ramp to the pond and put a drain in the lowest part. The duck pond will fill up with duck poo and dirt faster than you think. There isn't a pump that can make a pool clear with all the poo thats going to be in the pond. make sure you don't make the drain level maybe even fix it that the wash water can go into the garden over the summer

8. featherfinder

Thats what i wanted to do but since the ducks are at my moms house she wanted a pump. I think its a 50 gall pond and the pump processes 300 gallons + per hour and a huge filter. She also wanted it in the ground so had to listen and she paid for. Just now gow do i up keep it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by