Pump house/hen house......how big of a mess??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by backwoods, Aug 20, 2008.

1. backwoods

backwoods Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    South GA
    I have a pump house away from my house that is no longer used as storage. It is 8X8 and is finished and trimmed like my log house. Right now my pin is beside it but needs redoing. I am going to build the pen much larger and I am going to

A) Build a new pen/house away from the house further.

B) Add on to my current pen and build a new house

C) Make the pump house into the hen house. The only thing in the house is a 120 gal tank and the rest is open. My question is how trashed will it become? Do you think it couls ever be reused as storage?

Opinions?

My backyard, I have room!!

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Get geese! I LOVE your pond!!

You should be able to outfit the pumphouse to work for you.

3. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    I agree with missprissy you should get some waterfowl to add beauty to your pond.

4. backwoods

Jul 26, 2008
    South GA
    I have had ducks and they were OK but the critters were hard to keep away. I HAD geese for a short time, never knew anything could crap that much!!! Probaly will get more ducks though, had a drake that would buzz my head if I did not feed them right when I got home! He would also follow me around and quack untill I payed him attention.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a lovely property- do you get wild waterfowl?

I have a question about the pump house- is the pump active or disconnected? You mentioned a water storage tank, which got me thinking about the safety of your water supply should you house birds in there...[​IMG]

6. backwoods

Jul 26, 2008
    South GA
    The pump is 150 yards away but the holding tank is in there. I am thinking more about moving the pen further back in the yard to keep from having to try and make it too pretty. Too many options I guess.

I seldom get wild fowl. When I have they did not stick around long.

7. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] Howdy from Southwest GA. I agree with the other's... Get waterfowl, that pond would be gorgous with some color added to it!!

8. backwoods

Jul 26, 2008
    South GA
    Since you're in GA I guess you could understand it's not as full or nice looking right now. I usually pump water in it but did not this year. Hey it may fill up now thanks to Fay!! We are getting some pretty good rain now.

9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    DUST will be your biggest issue, we converted half of our storage shed and we ended up moving all the tools and stuff out because the dust was so bad getting into every nook and cranny. I would make sure you section off what you don't want ruined.

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If you allow chickens access to the storage tank, it will get covered in poop.

If the tank is metal (like mine is) it will rust badly because of ammonia and water from the poop.

Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by