1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pump recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tragic59, Dec 14, 2010.

1. tragic59

tragic59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Hello,

I have a small pond for my ducks, approximately 60-70 gallons, and would like to set up a DIY gravel filter system. Can anyone recommend a good pump?

I want something that will be durable, and relatively energy efficient. I will probably set it up on a timer to run a certain number of hours each day, but depending on how much it has to run to keep the water clean, I don't want to kill my electric bill...

Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    With 60 gallons you want at least an 120 gallon per hour rated pump. More if you have ducks. We have a 700 gallon pond w/ 3x filtration...which means it has a 2100 gph pump...its crystal clear [​IMG]

Also, http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

MUCH
    better than a mechanical filter...you never have to clean it...in fact, its bad to clean it!

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:What type of pump/filtration system do you have, the gravel filter, or skippy?

4. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Laguna Max Flo Solids Handling Pump (pretty heavy duty...it slurps up the duck poo [​IMG] ) and a 70 gal. Skippy's Filter

1 person likes this.
  5. tragic59

Jul 12, 2009
    Thanks for the replies!

If I build that Skippy filter, my filter tank will be as big as my pond!!! Think I could get away with a smaller version of that filter? Maybe use a 5 gallon bucket, or something???

I used the exact same type/size of rubbermaid stock tank for my pond.

6. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Yep...just make a scaled-down version [​IMG]

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    How many ducks will be using this pond? so far i have a 600 gallon pond that 8 call sized ducks have access to and i used a "skippy like" filter made out of a 5 gallon bucket and within a week it was all clogged up and needed a good cleaning. You might be able to get away with it though.

8. tragic59

Jul 12, 2009
    3 adult Muscovies. And, possibly their offspring once or twice a year. Although, I'm considering using a tractor for the ducklings to grow out in. That way, they can be kept on special food, and away from the adult drake.

9. tragic59

Jul 12, 2009
    I suppose I should also add that I plan to run my pumped water through some "gravel filters" that will double as planters for some plants I am going to be planting around the duck house.

I can't remember who it was on the forum, but someone had posted a description of their gravel filter where they run their pond water through a series of gravel-filled water heater drain pans that have potted plants sitting in them to feed on the water and nutrients in the water.

So, I'm planning to do something similar with my pond water.

But I want to have an additional filter of some sort at the end of this process.

10. tragic59

Jul 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by