Pumping water from the pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kathateria, May 8, 2016.

1. kathateria

kathateria Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    I keep tropical fish,so I know any filter wont cope with duck mess.
    I'm looking for a dirty water pump,and will replace the water from the pond,rather than filter it.
    So can any one recommend a pump? Cheaper the better! PM me if advertising or links are an issue.
    I'm in the UK,so reasonable shipping costs is a factor.
    Thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My first thought (no experience with this) is to look into the pumps used for aquaponics systems - those pump dirty fish water up and over beds of media that have plants in them, to clean the water.

And some folks have posted about duckaponics, or aquackponics, so they may have some insight.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    This has been on my mind too! Subscribing!

4. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    I cant really have a set up like those,because of electricity supply and space. I'm rubbish with DIY as well!
    Its just a dirty water pump,to get the old out,and I would replace weekly with a hose pipe

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well if it's a small enough volume, you could use a Thirsty Mate. Easy to use, good exercise, works great for duck water.

6. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    Self-priming hand pump is good exercise and cost about $10 US. WEAR WATERPROOF GLOVES. Duck water can cause some mild skin inflammation.

I've also used a simple siphon to drain my 70 gallon pond. FAt hose duck taped to a rock & suck to bottom. Hold other end of hose above the pond elevation. Fill with water. Lay hose down on ground & watch it down. Ponds with a lot of silt and organic matter may clog the siphon.

If you have a tractor, you may be able to use it as a " generator" to supply electricity to run the pump for the few minutes it needs to drain the pond.

Duck water is super great for plants and the lawn... especially if you have acid-loving plants.

7. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    I found the poo good for plants! I'm using buckets,but its time consuming!

8. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    With my fish tank,I put in a wide hose pipe to drain,and suck the water through,to start the syphon,with gravity. Being a pro,I never suck in the water....
    But don't fancy a mouth full of duck poo.

9. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I use a sump pump attached to a 100 ft garden hose to empty my pool. I think it was around $80. Way cheaper then any dirty water pond pumps I've seen. Just make sure it doesn't use any oil. If the housing cracks and the oil leaks in the water it could be deadly.

On a side note, the water is great for plants. My peach tree has never been happier.

10. fishpondcoating

fishpondcoating Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Shelton Connecticut USA
    "TetraPond Water Garden Pump" will be best for you and If you ever face Pond leak problem then pondpro2000 is the best solution I recommend. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by