Pumpkin Guts?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickendude, Oct 30, 2010.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Anybody here treat their chooks to the pumpkin guts?

2. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Hey, not a bad idea, we'll have to try that. Though I was intending to treat some 12-gauge slugs to pumpkin guts. [​IMG]

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Not when you put it that way....ewwww, pumpkin guts.

(just teasing, but no I haven't tried it!)

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I haven't tried it, but I bet it would be quite comical. Thanks for the idea!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My chooks get the meat......I get the seeds! Soak 'em in salt water & bake! [​IMG] Last year, the day after halloween, Wal-mart sold the leftover pumpkins for 10 cents each. I bought a truckload. I got the seeds & the horses & birds got the rest.

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Not the wal mart part but the rest....Yep cheap pumpkins I am happy with a truck load..[​IMG]

ON

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You will be doing your flock a favor by giving it to them. Pumpkin is a natural wormer, and they LOVE it.

8. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I gave the guts to mine last year and they loved it. I also cut the whole pumpkins in half and they eat the entire pumpkin and leave just a very thin shell.

9. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:Is it the pumpkin or the seeds that is toxic to the worms? I thought it was the seeds, but again today, as in every other time in the past that I have tried to throw the guts to the birds, they gobble up the fleshy part and totally ignore the seeds. I sure hope it is the soft part that they do eat; that would be awesome and solve a puzzle for me. I thought maybe there were pumpkin varieties out there with smaller seeds that I was supposed to be growing. Anyway, it's fun to watch them get their beaks all messy eating the pumpkin inerds. [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Is it the pumpkin or the seeds that is toxic to the worms? I thought it was the seeds, but again today, as in every other time in the past that I have tried to throw the guts to the birds, they gobble up the fleshy part and totally ignore the seeds. I sure hope it is the soft part that they do eat; that would be awesome and solve a puzzle for me. I thought maybe there were pumpkin varieties out there with smaller seeds that I was supposed to be growing. Anyway, it's fun to watch them get their beaks all messy eating the pumpkin inerds. [​IMG]

Mine eat every last morsel I throw out there. The ducks are seed hogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by