Pumpkin Puree

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Charlene1234, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    How do I make real pumpkin puree? I bought Pie Pumpkins yesterday but now I don't know what to do?? I'm assuming I roast them with butter maybe but how long? Cut them up first in wedges? Hmmm...? I'd love to make REAL pumpkin pie this year. Thanks for the help.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

clean them (or let your chickens do it)
    Bake them in the oven at about 350 for an hour or until tender.
    Peel and cut into chunks
    Put chunks into the food processor
    ZAROOOOOOM!

3. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    Fresh pumpkin tends to be very watery..
    I usually let mine sit in Cheesecloth overnight in the fridge before I use it for anything..

4. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I have boiled it and baked it. Either way I then let it cool and put in food processor or a blender. I puree until it looks like baby food. I also put what I don't need in the freezer. You can use the puree in pumpkin pie, bread,muffins, quiche or as soup. I make soup with it and add a little blue cheeze on top. Yummo. [​IMG]

5. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    Quote:I do that too, and then it has more the consistancy of canned pumpkin. However, waste not want not, when making pie I will use dry milk mixed with the drained pumpkin juice (add water if there is not enough). I usually use approx. twice as much milk powder as called for, making a thicker liquid.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Here is a recipe for you.

16 oz packed pumpkin
    1 box spiced cake mix
    1/2 bag choc chips
    1/4 cup water.

mix it all and bake at the temp and time called for on the cake mix. It's wonderful!!! you can actually use pumpkin to replace the eggs and oil in just about any cake mix. It's a Weight Watchers thingie.

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I cut, seed, peel and chunk. Put in Crockpot. Cook down til soft. Blend with my immersion blender til smooth. Cook more with cover off til the consistency I want it. Freeze in freezer bags- I usually freeze in 1 cup measures for convenience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by