Pumpkin seeds for worming??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redhen, Aug 30, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Are you supposed to feed them raw or can you cook them?? Which works better?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I heard raw, but I don't know if it is true or not. I usually just hurl a pumpkin in the run and stand back. They will eat it down to the skin in a matter of days. The "guts" are gone almost instantly.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks! The little buggers loooove pumpkin... [​IMG]

4. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    just crack that sucker open and your chickens are guaranteed to ATTACK that pumpkin like it's nobody's business [​IMG] I guess it's a good wormer, I don't use anything else and I have never had worm problems, so.... (knock on wood....)

[​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I can't think of a single reason why a pumpkin seed would kill a worm or parasite.

I suggest that if your chickens have worms that you purchase a wormer for them.

Pumpkin seed is a good treat. My poultry never get them, because the people in this family eat them all.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Feed it raw, cooking them cooks out some of the benefits.

The best way is to crush or chop them up, then feed it. And if you have the resources available, mixing in some chopped up watermelon or cucumber seeds also works.

Pumpkin seeds DO kill parasites, they contain a chemical that paralyzes them. Look it up. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by