pumpkin seeds too big?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wildorchid053, Nov 2, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we have left overs from carving .. they have eaten the smaller pumpkins before, but these seeds are about 3/4" is that too big? i have med size hens and big roos

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My 7 weeks olds have cleaned up on the seeds. I was worried because the seeds looked so large. They didn't seem as worried...lol. [​IMG] They will be fine with them...

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Those do seem a little big, how are they handling them, of course you could chop them up real quick and solve your problem. or if you offered some grit the chooks will eat that if they feel they need to.

AL

4. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Wow, that's a thread I needed!

Did you roast the seeds or gave them raw?

I tried giving roasted seeds and they kind of ignored them. I had to shell the seeds before feeding, but that's too much work even in my book![​IMG]

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i gave them raw.. they are just flinging them aside and eating the mush attached to the seeds.. guess they are too big [​IMG]

6. sbates

sbates Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Hampstead
    I had the contents of multiple pumpkins from my Jack o' Lantern projects.... and I was wondering the same thing. Well, I can tell you they definitely favored the "mush part"... but they went after the seeds pretty quickly too. They all disappeared in about 30 minutes (I must have had 500 seeds... big pumpkins). So far no ill effects.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine were taking the big seeds and trying to break them with their beaks. I didn't hang around long enough to see how many they were able to eat though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by