Pumpkin Skins ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mistyt14, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mistyt14

mistyt14 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    the reason i ask is ive been deytrating pumpkin as i ran out of freezer room, but cutting the skins off even after cooking the pumpking is killing my hands. Can i slice and dry with skin on?

i plan on rehyrdating it and mixing with food

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Mine eat the flesh and leave the skins when they are raw. I would think they would do the same for rehydrated. Even if they eat them I doubt it would harm them.

3. mistyt14

mistyt14 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    thanks! still have 5.5 pumpkins to dry...... but want to save it to add to food this winter

4. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

I give my mixed flock whole pumpkins and within 4 hours there is no trace of it left. They go crazy for them! Watermelons too.

5. featheredmom

featheredmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    Mine get pumpkin skins, seeds, and strings when I bake with pumpkin, they LOVE it!! When its been cooked they love the skins, not sure if it was raw, but I am sure it can't really harm them.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My ds11's favorite thing is to take a pumpkin in the run with an old baseball bat. He beats the everlovin crap out of the pumpkin to give the girls a start then just gets out of the way! As above, they eat every last bit, except the stem. I tell ya, CSI couldn't find a trace of that pumpkin when they're done with it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by