Pumpkins for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by courtshep, Sep 19, 2008.

1. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    My chickens just love when I throw a pumpkin in the run. I had a lot of small volunteer pumpkins grow out of my compost pile, so when one gets a little soft, I give it to the chickens. It is like watching chicken soccer. They run after it and peck it all over. By the end of the day there is not much left. I sure hope this is okay for them to eat. I just keep thinking that pumpkins are high in vitamins, so it must be good! Plus, I think it keeps them entertained all day. Any thoughts?

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have given mine pumpkin before as well as a variety of squash so i don't see a problem, They love treats [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine love pumpkin too. The seeds are supposed to be a natural wormer too.

4. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    That is so cool!

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love them too, and I'm getting great eggs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I just had a mental image of myself on the day after Halloween, picking up smashed pumpkins in the street and feeding them to the chooks!

7. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Quote:I fully intend to do just that. Nothing like free chicken food.

I'm also thinking of posting flyers offering to accept unwanted Hallowe'en pumpkins. The ones that haven't been carved up make tasty Pumpkin Loaf.

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I offered two small (as in ittybitty) pumpkins to my spoiled girls yesterday- and after they figured out it wasnt a tomato, they were not interested.
    They also do not like the corn in their scratch. Only the oats.
    I understood when I had one spoiled chicken, but I don't understand how nine can be so picky.

9. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:This was kind of funny to me- my chickens are the opposite- they eat the corn and not the oats- too bad we don't live closer or we would have a great solution to the problem...lol.

I do buy just the cracked corn now, but I am trying to use up a 25 lb bag of scratch grains (with the oats and all in it). I try to sneak it in with mostly cracked corn, but the little buggers still only pick out the cracked corn.

Mine are picky eaters also. I can't wait to at least try pumpkin now that fall is here.

Sharon

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

MANNNN~!!!!!
    mine didnt go crazy over at all [​IMG] ,, i went and bought 7 for the birds,,, my pheasants and peafowl just looked at them,, and my chickens ate it,, but it wasnt like a mouse or cricket,, or even like when they get table scraps every night.
    my birds are a little "challenged" i think...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by