pumpkins, squash or melons...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sydney13, Feb 23, 2011.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    When spring comes I plan on growing some field corn for my chickens. I was going to use the "three sisters" method with the beans climbing up the corn and the squash/pumpkins smothering the weeds.
    My question is, what do you think the chickens would prefer, squash, pumpkins or melons? I want to grow it for the chickens and then feed it to them through the winter along with their regular grain mix, so I want them to like it. Does any one know which one would be the easiest to grow or which one will have the highest yields?
    Also I was wondering, do chickens like to eat dried poled beans?

2. steve25

steve25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    riley, michigan
    my chickens love squash ,pumpkins and melons. i always plant extra pumpkins for winter feedings of one pumpkin per week. I noticed my egg production went up . They love watermelons and cantoloupe on hot summer days. also if you live where its cold in winter you can put pumpkins on pallets and cover with tarp. when you feed them to chickens just step on them and they will break in half, even when frozen.

3. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Which one of those do you find easiest to grow? I like the idea of storing them on pallets, I think Ill do that [​IMG]

4. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    The pumpkins will definately keep longer after harvest.

5. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Maybe ill try a little of each. Can pumpkins and squash cross pollinate?

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Mine don't eat pumpkins. A couple of years ago I had a spaghetti squash volunteer and if they could peck a hole in the side of one of those, the chooks would clean it out. So after Halloween, I asked my neighbor for her jack-o-lanterns, thinking they'd have similar fun with those. They didn't touch them. They sat in the yard and rotted. The following year the same neighbor, thinking she'd done me a huge favor, dropped off her jack-o-lanterns again. This time I tried baking them, thinking the chooks might like them better cooked, but again, they wouldn't touch them. I've heard of plenty of people whose chickens do eat pumpkin but that's been my experience so far.

7. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Yea, mine wouldn't eat the pumpkin either and I bought it especially for them! Ate the seeds though.

8. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I really hope mine will eat them, I dont want to grow a ton of pumpkins only for them not to touch them [​IMG] ... well at least that would mean more pumpkin pie for us

9. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Why don't you buy them some pumpkin, squash and melons and see if they like it before you plant them.

10. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:Which would you prefer to eat if the chickens turn up their beaks at your offerings? That's what you plant.

I'm not sure what the result of cross pollination between vine crops would be, but does it really matter if you are feeding it to chickens, who will eat just about anything anyway?

As a rule I keep similiar crops 8 - 10 feet apart if I am worried about cross pollination. Except squash. I plant them all in an area I don't care if weeds grow in, cuz I HATE to weed those prickly vine crops. (so I don't weed them)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by